design : : the latest from my brain

11 February 2008

This project went out today: Camelot for Kids, a rehabilitation camp for mentally disturbed kids. The site is rural near the Cumberland plateau. Originally a farm, it still has a barn that is used for maintenance. Originally the client had wanted to rehab the barn, but the cost prompted us to suggest a new building with a "barn-like" feel on a more prominent part of the site. Above is my first swipe at it. I tried for a modern reinterpretation of the barn vernacular without resorting to kitsch. Some of you who familiar with the Cowen Dining Hall might see this as a progression of my "rustic modern" thesis. Mockbee was definitely a huge influence here.
Let me know what you think...

Posted by ck at 5:07 PM  

2 comments:

I like it! What is the orange stuff by the window? just paint? or shutters or something?

Anonymous said...
12 February, 2008 09:36  

it's just accent siding. it's supposed to be evocative of the sliding panel doors on barns. and it adds a splash of color.

ck said...
12 February, 2008 15:55  

Post a Comment