back to chattanooga

28 February 2008

Alice and I are heading back to my third hometown. I lived down there the year after I got out of college. It was a was an interesting year, some of the best and worst experiences of my life. Bad and good, the city and my experiences there left a vivid impression on me. So I always go back with mixed feelings.

The reason for the trip is Tyler and Jenn's wedding. These guys were together through most of architecture school and have stayed together for 9 years. I'm glad their finally tying the knot (though it's just a formality at this point). They really are made for each other. We hung out a lot in college, and both of them studied in Europe with me (a very bonding experience). They moved down to Chattanooga a few months after me and Tyler ended up working for the same construction firm as me. We worked on a lot of stuff together as carpenters cruising around in my VW bus. Together with Winget, the four of us were the "colony" in Chattanooga.

This weekend will be a great time. Two of my favorite people will be there: my old roommate Jeremy and my partner-in-crime Matt Winget. Some other guys I haven't seen since college will be there too. There's going to be lots of shenanigans going on. And I don't have to be in the wedding. We get to hang out and enjoy it without any stress.
One other cool thing: both being architects, Tyler and Jenn got an amazing place to get married in. Above is the Hunter Museum of Art, or more accurately the new addition that's perched on the bluffs above the river by downtown. Chattanooga has one of the most spectacular settings of any river city I've ever been to, and this museum takes full advantage of the drama of its site. It's gonna be great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment