getting closer...

30 October 2008

Well folks, we're in the final stretch here. The bank is pushing hard to have the project mostly finished by next weekend. So I'm trying my hardest. This feels like a huge complex version of the intense deadlines I had back in architecture school, where I had to just power through and work, work, work. It feels good to know that it will be over soon, the meantime is daunting. In school we worked ourselves to exhaustion knowing that we'd sleep when it was all over. Once, I slept 24 hours straight after finishing a project. That's basically the working philosophy here.

I ordered all the appliances yesterday. That made this all seem very real. I'm going to live in this house. This is where I'll keep my food. I've built so many houses for other people, this one started to seem like just another construction project. But this is my house.

The plumber finished up this morning, and the electrician is underway. But I've had a hard time keeping him on site. So it's going a little slower than I'd want. The drywall is finished upstairs, so we're in the process of priming and painting it. I have one more bedroom and two closets to trim out. But the biggest thing left on my plate by far is the stairs. This weekend will be dedicated to putting in all the treads and the handrails. Sound simple, but it's one of the easiest things for a trim carpenter to screw up. So wish me luck.

Posted by ck at 11:28 AM  

3 comments:

Exciting! Can't wait to see it. Wish I could come this weekend. We'll be at Cowen...I think i'll be sleeping in "Alice". I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...
30 October, 2008 23:25  

that was me

Anonymous said...
30 October, 2008 23:26  

almost there!

stan said...
31 October, 2008 09:19  

Post a Comment