20

02 February 2009

Twenty years. That's how long it's been since Dad died. It feels weird to even write Dad with a capital 'D' since I rarely have had cause to do it for the majority of my life. No letters, no emails where I'd have used 'Dad' because he's been gone since 1989. All that potential communication. The constant use of a simple word that most people take for granted. Man, how I wish I could talk to him now, just when I'm trying to figure out how to be a good architect. How to be a good husband. It's especially hard when people who knew him remark on our similarities. I know we would've liked each other. That we'd have liked the same things.

I wish he was here. I don't regret the life that's happened since 1989. But for twenty years I've wished I could've shared some of it with him.

This song is the annual anthem of February 2:



Nick Drake - River Man [mp3]

Posted by ck at 10:31 AM  

2 comments:

I forgot to tell you today that Duncan and I took 4 yellow roses to the grave yesterday. It was a beautiful day.

We need to figure out how to clean the limestone this year.

Anonymous said...
02 February, 2009 20:32  

P.S. Your Dad would be so proud of you.

Anonymous said...
02 February, 2009 20:33  

Post a Comment