the hole of despair in my sidewalk

19 August 2008

Last night I had to confirm the water meter number in front of my house for the utility before we could hook it up. I took a hammer out to pry the iron cover off. After two tries I got it off, and that's when several hundred cockroaches looked up at me and panicked.


Jumping back and stifling the little girl squeal in my throat, I ran to the house post-haste and grabbed some insect poison. Running back, I saw that most of the roaches had made like underage kids and bolted from the party. I dumped some poison in, letting the stragglers know the party was definitely over. As they made a final bid for freedom, I started stomping. When it was all said and done, I had stomped 67 of them. 67 roaches. And those were just the stragglers.

That was my evening. How was yours?

Posted by ck at 9:47 AM  

4 comments:

That is gross and hilarious at the same time.

Shauna said...
19 August, 2008 23:51  

CK,
Look at the bright side. Meter enclosures are notorious for hosting Black Widows.

...and just try suppressing the little girl squeel when you're nose to nose with one of those.

Anonymous said...
20 August, 2008 07:26  

Hey Aaron T. here.

I laughed so hard when I read this. Before you mentioned "the little girl squeal in (your) throat," I heard you in my head. I assumed you wouldn't mention that part but I am so glad you fessed up to it.

I mowed my in-laws lawn.

Anonymous said...
20 August, 2008 10:07  

Aaron! Sorry it took me so long to respond. What's your email? We need to get together next time I'm up north.

ck said...
18 September, 2008 15:00  

Post a Comment