1776

17 January 2008

I guess I'm the newest David McCullough fan. I started reading 1776 last night and I'm hooked. They call his style "historical narrative." Not a historical novel, and not a straight up history book. He paints the characters vividly, and really shows how preposterous it was for the Americans to think they could win against the greatest empire in the world (at the time) and how much they were risking for their ideals. It's amazing to me that such a group of men were all born in the same place and same time, and came together to create a new idea. And then had the bravery to fight for it, no holds barred. Sounds like maybe a greater power was moving through all this, eh?

Posted by ck at 10:27 AM  

1 comments:

I LOVED his book on John Adams

Duncan said...
27 January, 2008 02:55  

Post a Comment