obligatory top albums of 2008 list

30 December 2008

So as we close 2008, the sound of millions of keyboards can be heard tapping away as everyone and their mom is blogging about what they think are the top albums of 2008. So why shouldn't I do one too? I think I will:

[Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago] I know that this is from 2007, but we all know in our hearts that For Emma, Forever Ago is an album that helped define 2008. Also, Bon Iver was the best show I saw all year, so I'm putting it here.



[Delta Spirit- Ode to Sunshine] Delta Spirit is a newer one to me, but I'm a firm believer that you can never have enough happy beach music in your life.



[Of Montreal- Skeletal Lamping] I love these guys. Skeletal Lamping is more experimental than Hissing Fauna, and the complete lack of song structure was a bit off putting. But the pure gold nuggets of mini songs hidden in the tracks keep you coming back.



[Beck- Modern Guilt] I'm a child of the 90s, so Beck insured with Odelay that I would buy every album of his for the rest of my life. Modern Guilt isn't his best, but it gets better with every listen.



[Vampire Weekend- Vampire Weekend] I'm surprised how much of a guilty pleasure this is on the end of the year album lists. Everybody is a little ashamed to like them, but Vampire Weekend is too good to ignore. I got through some tough days this year building the house with Oxford Comma keeping me upbeat.

See some other good lists here.

Posted by ck at 6:50 PM  

4 comments:

Well, maybe some people's Moms are making such a list, but your Mom has absolutely no idea...Did James Taylor do anything this year? :)

Anonymous said...
30 December, 2008 21:20  

I heard you mention delta spirit before, previewed a few songs on myspace and then bought the album off of itunes. I love 'em

Duncan said...
31 December, 2008 03:11  

Bon Iver and VW are two great albums.

Big Beefe said...
31 December, 2008 12:55  

I put Delta Spirit on at the bakery today to check them out and totally dug them. In fact, I'm downloading right now...

Shauna said...
02 January, 2009 20:45  

Post a Comment