life as a timeline

07 April 2009


I found out yesterday that the mom of one of my best friends had died. I had known her mostly in my childhood- thinking about her triggered lots of memories from that era. When I found out, I was working on a architecture project timeline graphic. As I drew the timeline and thought about life (as death often makes you do) I wondered what my life would look like mapped out. Were there patterns? What would it look like in another thirty years? So here it is:


click image to enlarge for full effect.


If you can't tell, the graphics rising and falling have to do with bad times and good times. I noticed that after a major change that things got much better, with one notable exception. Also, with Alice my life has taken a more stable sine wave pattern instead of gradual rises with drastic falls. Looking back, I see I have much to be thankful for, not least of all the present.

4 comments:

Is that why Aaron called? We left a message with your phone number, but didn't talk to him.

I want to do a graph of my life, too. Yours is very cool. I am very, very thankful for one Alice King.

Mom said...
07 April, 2009 20:55  

What a great idea. What software did you use to create this?

John said...
07 April, 2009 21:13  

John: I "hand built" it in Photoshop. I had already worked up a template for work. But somebody should come up with software to generate this kind of thing.

ck said...
07 April, 2009 23:17  

That's a really cool idea, CK. I kinda want to do one for myself. It seems like a good way to think about the hidden blessings of life.

BTW, you and I lived in Chattanooga around the same time. Despite loving the city, that was probably one the low points of my life too.

The Modern Gal said...
08 April, 2009 21:02  

Post a Comment